Learning Styles and Preferences – VAK (Visual, Auditory, Kinesthetic); Jung & Myers-Briggs (MBTI); Howard Gardner’s Multiple Intelligences
DVC Learning Style Survey for College written by Catherine Jester, Learning Disability Specialist © Copyright 2000 For Educational Uses Only - "This DVC online guide is designed to help you become a more successful student. It includes a Learning Style Survey that will help you identify your learning style. It also includes learning strategies that will help you study in a productive manner, one that matches your unique learning style.” Diablo Valley College
David A. Kolb's Learning Style Inventory “…describes the way you learn and how you deal with ideas and day-to-day situations in your life.”
Funderstanding - “This approach to learning emphasizes the fact that individuals perceive and process information in very different ways.”… Links to learning theories
Learning Styles Assessment Instruments Resource Page “This Web page contains information on selected assessment instruments which are often used to assess student learning styles. This information is provided as a service to higher educators…”
Learning Styles (ILS) – information on an on-line instrument used to assess learning preferences based on Richard M. Felder and Linda K. Silverman’s learning style model. No cost for individuals who wish to determine their own learning style profile and for educators who wish to use it for teaching, advising, or research.
- Online questionnaire - 44 questions which give immediate feedback and links for explanations and suggestions.
- Dr. Richard Felder's advice - "When mismatches exist between learning styles of most students in a class and the teaching style of the professor, the students may become bored and inattentive in class…”
- Explanations of the Felder & Soloman’s Learning Styles scales and strategies - A 3 page handout for learners and teachers
Learning Styles Network - Center for the Study of Learning and Teaching Styles at St. John's University… to promote and disseminate research, information, publications and other resources focusing on learning, teaching, and productivity styles
Paladin Myers-Briggs Type Indicator and Career Test –an on-line personality indicator questionnaire and an interest inventory instrument–Paladin is a non-profit organization (There is an administrative fee)
Howard Gardner’s Theory of Multiple Intelligences- He describes eight intelligences and now suggests there’s a possible 9th intelligence called “existential intelligence”.
- Howard Gardner’s website - with publications available for reading on-line
- Thomas Armstrong’s description of Gardner’s theory of 8 intelligences Dr. Thomas Armstrong’s description of Gardner’s theory of 8 intelligences and application in education
- 'Howard Gardner and multiple intelligences' by Smith, Mark K. (2002, 2008), the encyclopedia of informal education